This is a permanent residency visa that requires sponsorship of a nominating employer. General requirements for this visa are:
- Have an occupations on the 186 Visa Occupations List
- English language requirements are IELTS (or equivalent test) score of 6 in each component.
- A maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application will apply to Direct Entry stream applicants. A maximum age requirement of 50 at the time of application will continue to apply to Temporary Residence Transition stream applicants
186 Direct Entry Stream requirements:
- have an occupation that is on the list of eligible skilled occupations (MLTSSL)
- have at least 3 years relevant work experience, unless you are exempt
- have a positive skills assessment, unless you are exempt
- must be nominated by an Australian employer whose business is actively and lawfully operating.
186 Labour Agreement Stream Requirement :
- currently work, or will work, for your nominating employer who is party to a labour agreement.
- meet the age, skills and English language requirements of the labour agreement
- You must have suitable English language skills, experience, skills and other attributes for the position. The labour agreement will provide guidance on these.
- Must be aged 45 or under, unless otherwise specified
186 Temporary Residence Transition Stream :
The Temporary Residence Transition Stream-TRT (Grandfathering arrangements)
There are two ways of applying through the TRT stream; those who had applied for or held a 457 Visa before 18 April 2017, and those who applied for a 457 or 482 Visa after 18 April 2017.
If you applied for a 457 Visa before 18 April 2017 and subsequently granted, you can apply for the 186 Visa once you have worked with your sponsor for a minimum of two years while holding he 457 Visa, on the basis of grandfathering arrangements, set out by the Department of Home Affairs. You must also be under 50 years of age.
If you applied 457/482 visa after after 18 April 2017, you must have an occupation on the Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), and can then apply for the 186 Visa once you have worked for your sponsor for three years while holding the 457/482 Visa. You cannot apply for the 186 Visa if you were granted the 457/482 Visa after 18/04/2017 and if your occupation is on Short-Term Skilled Occupation List) STSOL, unless you have worked and lived in a regional area. You must also be under 45 years of age.
All applicants in this stream must demonstrate that they have earned the salary nominated in their 457/482 nomination in each relevant year.