If you’re looking for temporary work in Australia, you’ll need to secure a 482 visa. Here is a rundown of what you need to know, including what may be required of you.
TSS/482 Visa Requirements:
The TSS/482 Visa has two streams — Short-Term and Medium-Term. The stream you apply for is relevant to your occupation at the time of the application.
The main requirements for the employer sponsor 482 Visa in Australia as they stand are:
- skills and qualifications
- character checks
- health checks
- and your English language
- and whether your occupation streams on the Medium or Short-term list
If your occupation is on the Short-Term list, such as Cook, you can only apply for the 186 Visa if you fall under the grandfathering arrangements. This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.
To become eligible for this visa, you must :
- be nominated for a skilled position by an approved sponsor
- have the right skills to do the job
- meet the relevant English language requirements
Formal 482 Visa Qualifications
- Obtaining skills and qualifications by studying formally at an institute and for at least — depending on the duration of the course — 1.5 to 2 years
- Depending on your qualification, formal or informal, requirements change. In addition, qualifications you obtain through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will not count towards formal qualifications. If you’ve got a formal qualification, for example, for a Chef, you need Certificate III, IV and Diploma and two years of experience to apply for a visa 482 in Australia.
- You can achieve two years’ experience at any time, before or after your qualification. However, if you have an RPL or no formal qualification, you will need a minimum of three years of full-time employment, and a skill assessment
- Acquiring a skills assessment depends on your country of passport
- The department refers to ANZSCO in terms of what an appropriate skill level for most occupations is. If you want to check what the requirements are for your occupation, ANZSCO for more information
482 Short-Term Stream
What you need to know about short-term subclass 482 visas:
- You can stay for up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Your occupation must be on the short-term skilled occupations list
- You must only work for your sponsor or associated entity unless you are exempt
482 Labour Agreement Stream
This visa is for skilled workers nominated by employers with a Labour Agreement, letting you temporarily live and work in Australia. Labour agreements are developed between the Australian Government and employers.
- Up to a maximum of 4 years, depending on the terms of the labour agreement. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
482 Subsequent Entrant
This visa is for family members of subclass 457 and TSS visa holders who are applying separately for their TSS visa and wish to join the primary subclass 457 or TSS visa holder in Australia.