Temporary Skilled Shortage 482

The TSS/482 Visa has two streams- Short Term and Medium Term. The stream you apply for is relevant to your occupation the time of the application.

482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa Requirements:

The main requirements for the 482 Visa as they stand are your skills and qualifications, character checks, health checks, and your English language, and whether your occupation stream in on the Medium- or Short-term list. If your occupation is on the Short-Term list, such as Cook, you cannot apply for 186 Visa unless you fall under the grandfathering arrangements. This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.

To become eligible for this visa, you must :

• be nominated for a skilled position by an approved sponsor

• have the right skills to do the job

• meet the relevant English language requirements

Formal Qualifications:

• It is a way of obtaining skills and qualifications by studying formally at an institute by going to an education provider, studying for at least, depending on the duration of the course, 1.5 to 2 years

• Qualifications that you obtain through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will not count towards formal qualification. Depending on your qualification, formal or informal the requirements change. If you’ve got a formal qualification, say, for example for a Chef, you need Certificate III, IV and Diploma and 2 years of experience to apply for a 482 Visa.

• 2 years of experience can be done at any time, whether it is before your qualification or after your qualification. If you have an RPL or no formal qualification, you will need 3 years of full-time employment and a skill assessment.

• Depending on the country of passport, you may or may not need to acquire a skill assessment, regardless of your experience and RPL

• The department refers to ANZSCO in terms of what an appropriate skill level for most occupations are. If you want to check what are the requirements are for your occupation, get on the ANZSCO website, put in the ANZSCO code, and it is usually outlined what formal qualifications you need or what can be substituted for the formal qualification in the manner of how many years work experience that you need.


482 Short-Term Stream

• You can stay for up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
• occupation must be on the short-term skilled occupations list
• work only for your sponsor or associated entity, unless you are exempt

482 Medium-term Stream

  • Your occupation is on either the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL)
  •  You can work in Australia for up to four years. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.

482 Labour Agreement Stream

This visa is for skilled workers nominated by employers who have a Labour Agreement. It lets you live and work in Australia temporarily. Labour agreements are developed between the Australian Government (represented by the Department) and employer

  • Up to a maximum of 4 years, depending on the terms in the labour agreement. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.

482 Subsequent Entrant

This visa is for family members of subclass 457 and TSS visa holders who are applying separately for their TSS visa and wish to join the primary subclass 457 or TSS visa holder in Australia