This is a points-tested stream for skilled individuals that do not need a sponsor or nominator. To become eligible to apply for 189 visa, you must:
- have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list (MLTSSL)
- have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- be invited to apply for this visa
- Satisfy the points test (at least 65 Points)
- Be under 45 to be invited
First you have to check whether your occupation is on the skilled occupation list or not and then you may submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via Skillselect with details of your occupations and any relevant skills and qualifications. Skillselect will generate points for you depending on your qualifications and language skills. If you get 65 points, you are eligible to submit an Expression of Interest. If you are invited, you have 60 days to apply for the visa
Different methods you can claim points for 189 visa:
- English Language Ability
- Skilled employment
- Australian degree
- Any other relevant degree
- Partner/Spouse Points (English or Skilled Occupation)
- Professional Year (only applicable to ICT, Accounting and Engineering Occupations)
- Credentialed Community Language (NAATI)
- For your application to be valid, you must declare that you have a suitable skills assessment at the time of invitation.
- You will need to provide a copy of this skills assessment with your application if you are invited to apply.
- Your skills assessment must have been obtained in the 3 years before the date of your invitation. If the assessment was for a shorter period, that period must not have passed
- If your skills were assessed on the basis of a qualification you got in Australia when you held a student visa, the qualification must be from studying a course registered on CRICOS.