What is the 186 Visa?
If you’re looking to live and work in Australia, the 186 visa might be the pathway for you. Also known as the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa, the 186 visa is a permanent residency visa that allows skilled workers to work for an employer in Australia. Let’s take a closer look at what the 186 visa entails and how you can apply for it.
What is the 186 visa?
The 186 visa is a permanent residency visa that allows skilled workers to work for an employer in Australia. It has three streams, each with its own eligibility criteria:
- Temporary Residence Transition stream: This stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have been working for their employer for at least two years in the same occupation as their nominated occupation.
- Direct Entry stream: This stream is for people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or who are ineligible for the Temporary Residence Transition stream. Applicants must have their skills assessed and meet other criteria before being nominated by an employer.
- Agreement stream: This stream is for people who are sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
How to apply for the 186 visa?
To apply for the 186 visa, you will need to follow these steps:
Step 1: Check if you are eligible
Before you apply for the 186 visa, you need to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for the stream you are applying for. This may include holding a valid visa, having a certain level of English language proficiency, and meeting age, skill and health requirements.
Step 2: Find an employer to nominate you
You will need to find an Australian employer to nominate you for the 186 visa. The employer must be willing to offer you a full-time job in your nominated occupation.
Step 3: Apply for the visa
Once you have a nomination from an employer, you can apply for the 186 visa online. You will need to provide documentation to support your application, including evidence of your work experience and qualifications.
Step 4: Wait for a decision
After you apply for the 186 visa, you will need to wait for a decision to be made on your application. This may take several months, so be prepared for a wait.
What are the benefits of the 186 visa?
The 186 visa comes with several benefits for successful applicants, including:
- Permanent residency in Australia: Once you are granted the 186 visa, you are able to live and work in Australia permanently.
- Access to healthcare and education: As a permanent resident, you are entitled to access to Medicare (Australia’s public healthcare system) and to enrol your children in public schools.
- Sponsor family members: You can sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia as permanent residents.
- Travel: The 186 visa allows you to travel in and out of Australia as much as you want, and to apply for Australian citizenship after a certain period of time.
In conclusion, the 186 visa is an excellent pathway to permanent residency in Australia for skilled workers. If you meet the eligibility criteria and can secure an employer nomination, it could be the perfect way to start a new life Down Under.